Since the winter season finally arrived on December 22, make sure that you are properly preparing your flowers for the chilly season. If you need a few tips for proper flower care during the winter season, here are a few pointers that we found on K-State Research and Extension, on caring for your flowers in December.
- Mulch roses by mounding soil 6 to 8 inches deep over the plants to protect the graft.
- Mulch perennial beds with 2 to 4 inches of straw, shredded leaves, or other lightweight material.
- Cut tall hybrid tea roses back to 18 to 24 inches to reduce wind whipping and plant damage.
- Continue to plant spring flowering bulbs until the ground is frozen. Water and mulch.
- Give plants or gift certificates as holiday gifts for gardening friends.
- Empty decorative pots and containers. Store inside or decorate for winter.