Since the winter season finally arrived on December 22, make sure that you are properly preparing your flowers for the chilly season. If you need a few tips for proper flower care during the winter season, here are a few pointers that we found on K-State Research and Extension, on caring for your flowers in December.
- Mulch roses by mounding soil 6 to 8 inches deep over the plants to protect the graft.
- Mulch perennial beds with 2 to 4 inches of straw, shredded leaves, or other lightweight material.
- Cut tall hybrid tea roses back to 18 to 24 inches to reduce wind whipping and plant damage.
- Continue to plant spring flowering bulbs until the ground is frozen. Water and mulch.
- Give plants or gift certificates as holiday gifts for gardening friends.
- Empty decorative pots and containers. Store inside or decorate for winter.
How do the flowers in your garden look? Are they getting the proper TLC needed to keep them alive and healthy this winter? If you are not sure and need some help with your landscape maintenance, contact Hermes Landscaping in Lenexa, KS. We gladly serve the Kansas City area.