Smart landscaping can improve energy efficiency in both summer and winter seasons. Use this landscape plan as a guideline.
- Minimize winter winds on the north, east and west sides of your home with evergreen plants. Do not block south facing windows with evergreens.
- On the south side, plant deciduous trees with wide tops so in summer they will shade your residence from the intense heat, but in winter let in the warm sun’s rays.
- Plant low branched or shorter trees to block the lower summer afternoon sun on the west side of the dwelling.
- Your air-conditioning condenser can be blocked with large shrubs or small trees to enhance operating efficiency.
- A combination of select shrubs and small trees can be placed near the foundation of the building to provide additional insulation, shade and windbreaks.
Landscape shrubs and trees have been known to reduce the annual costs of cooling and heating a well-insulated Kansas City home by as much as six percent.
Contact us at Hermes Landscaping for all your Kansas City area residential and commercial landscape needs. Our goal is to make your landscape more beautiful, while at the same time give your home improved energy efficiency.