Pests are the bane of every landscaper. From Topeka to Tampa, landscapers everywhere dedicate as much time to landscaping pest control as they do to enjoying their gardens each summer. Here are some tips to help you keep the pests away this coming growing season so you can enjoy your backyard instead of tending to it all the time:
- Create an environment that is healthy. Pests are attracted to plants that are stressed and not properly trimmed.
- Use pest-resistant varieties of plants. Be sure to select your plants based in part on their ability to resist insect intrusions.
- Use only quality seeds and healthy plants. Further, make sure if you plant things such as potatoes that they are certified to be virus free.
- Remove excess weeds and grass from the landscape to eliminate competition for water and nutrients in the soil.
- Keep your landscaping clean. Remove debris, tools, and other items that could harbor pests.
- Rotate your flowerbeds and gardens. Don’t plant the same things in the same place year after year. Mix things up and move things around.