Winter has hit Kansas City lawns, but they will endure if the following landscaping tips are followed:
- Bring in clay pots to prevent them from breaking.
- Rake leaves before snow and frost cause them to become mushy.
- Plant four-season perennials. These look great year-round and form a good basis for a garden.
- When preparing for winter, refresh those hardscape items that will stand out on a plainer landscape. For example, re-paint your arbor, assess the health of large trees, and add a bench if you are so inclined.
- Transplant trees and shrubs if need be to keep them safe.
- Mulch around trees and flowerbeds. Avoid having the mulch touch the base of the tree, as it may invite chipmunks, mice, and other creatures.
- Clean out perennials to tidy up the flower bed and to keep rot from setting in.
- Check pond and fountain equipment, if you have one of these water features.
Image via sxc