Maximizing water efficiency is crucial to keeping your landscape healthy and your water bills from soaking your landscaping budget. The following are some tips that will keep your lawn green, without draining all of the green from you company’s bottom line:
- Use a Certified Irrigation Designer to design your irrigation system so that you have matched precipitation with head to head coverage. The most expensive part of an irrigation system is the water bill over the next twenty years which means the more accurately the irrigation system is applying irrigation water the less wasted water being applied and the lower the water bill.
- Replace old nozzles and heads with low-flow fixtures designed to facilitate water conservation. Further, invest in upgrades including rain sensors, ET Managers and in-soil moisture sensors that can shut your sprinklers off when watering isn’t required.
- Conduct an audit. This will help you determine if your system is applying irrigation water unevenly and wasting water.
- Redesign your landscape. From adding drought tolerant plants and xeriscaping portions of your landscape, be prepared to invest in changes that will benefit you over the long-term.
- Monitor and reassess. After you have made changes, continue monitoring your water usage. You should notice decreases in your water usage once some of these water saving changes have been implemented. If you do not, explore additional upgrades and changes that can help you reach your target usage level.
We invite you to contact Hermes Landscaping for more information about maximizing water efficiency on your property. We will be happy to offer you some tips and suggestions tailored to your specific needs.