If you want to maintain healthy landscape plants, applying mulch to the soil surface is key. Mulch is basically any material applied to the soil surface for the purpose of protecting or improving the area covered. Mulch has been around since the birth of nature. Nature produces large quantities of mulch consistently – spent flower blossoms, fallen leaves, needles, pieces of bark, fallen fruit and other organic material.
Take a look at a few of the benefits mulching provides when applied correctly:
- Mulch helps to maintain even soil temperatures by keeping soil cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Mulch helps to prevent soil compaction.
- Mulch prevents loss of water from soil evaporation.
- Mulch can enhance the aesthetics of the landscape by providing a uniform color cover and interesting texture to the surface.
- Mulch protects tree trunks and shrubs from damage by lawn equipment.
If you live in the greater Kansas City area and need a professional landscaping contractor to enhance the beauty of your lawn and maintain a healthy landscape, contact Hermes Landscaping at 913-888-2400.