Crushed stone or gravel driveways offer homeowners an affordable way to add aesthetically pleasing and low-maintenance driveway surfaces to their landscape. Different stones provide a colorful palette to further enhance overall appearance.
Landscape Construction Kansas City – Crushed Stone & Gravel Driveways
In our Kansas City climate, the pros of a stone and gravel driveway outweigh the cons.
- Freeze Hardy. Stone and gravel driveways can easily expand and contract as ground temperatures change which means they can withstand freezing winter, and hot summer, temperatures with little disturbance.
- Economical. Coming in at around $1 per square foot for a two inch layer, they are significantly more cost effective than concrete and asphalt.
- Colorful. The variety of stone and gravel choices allow homeowners to select rocks that blend with their overall landscape theme. Rock choices include crushed granite, shale, limestone, and concrete.
- No Base Needed. You can use this material on any surface. Your landscape design company can help you determine appropriate depths based on soil stability.
- Scatter & Settling. Gravel has a tendency to shift and scatter. Smaller stones will eventually settle towards the bottom so “redressing” the gravel every few years is a good idea.
- Snow Removal. Snow shoveling and plowing can pose a challenge in a big snow storm.